Sunday, February 22, 2009

Speed square



In one of my posts, I happened to mention in passing that I could not find a particular tool here in France, namely a speed square. I picked up a fancy French try square with all kinds of complex holes at distances marked in metric. My friend Bruce, in a generous gesture of infinite complicité, has sent me one, unasked. It arrived here by mail: $28 in postage! Not just the familiar small speed square, but in addition, a great huge whopper that you could scare off a grizzly with.



I was raised on more delicate combination squares which slide and allow you to mark lines parallel to edges of boards. In fact, I held the combination square in distain until watching wily Rick, self-proclaimed red neck carpenter, day after day, doing new and wonderful things with his speed square. Because of the web of metal, you get excellent purchase on this square as a guide for skill saw cuts or for pushing things into flush. On the other hand, the point is great for dislodging dirt and ice from the inside corner of a stud wall. When dropped, the speed square will not go out of square like a combination square. You can hit it with a hammer in case of desperation.

It stores nicely in the pocket of a tool pouch. Whipping it out by its rim was a habit hard to break.



Thanks a lot Bruce.