Monday, February 2, 2009

The cemetery at Anglars

We kept seeing this cemetary from the right bank of the Lot walking toward Prayssac. So on our way home from a long circuit from Castelfranc to the Juillac bridge and back, footsore or not, we decided to have a look. The cemetary is at the end of a lane and past a very small hamlet. There are a couple recycling bins stationed just before the gate. It has perhaps a cedar or two more than a normal cemetary.  



Here is a very popular headstone shape. Which brings up a puzzle: how does it happen that in a region full of such overwhelming architectural beauty, lovely gardens, refined aesthetic taste, how does it happen that the taste in these cemetaries is so tacky? This headstone shape reminds me of Elvis Presley's pompadour or a Phillips table radio from 1942


Here are some typical memorials spread across a grave without a raised tomb.







But the pictures on the tombs make this graveyard a real treasure. In the cemetary at Albas and Castelfranc, there are photos of young men who dies in WWI while these photos are all current.








Here's a plaque with a poem. It sounds really familiar to me. Does anyone have any idea where it comes from?





Death is nothing
I’ve simply gone on to the next room
I am me, you are you
What we were for eachother, we will always be
Call me by the name you always used
Talk to me like you always did
Don’t use a different tone of voice
Don’t be solemn or sad.
Keep laughing like we always laughed together
Pray, smile, think of me, pray for me
Say my name at home the way you always did.
Without any kind of emphasis or trace of shadow
Life means what it always did.
The thread is not broken
Why would I be absent from your thoughts
Because I am simply absent from you sight?
I am waiting for you. I am not far away.
Just the other side of the road.